Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Classic Rock Block

I have very little patience for Rod Stewart, generally. So it was with great relief this morning that the song on my iPod I thought was going to turn into "Maggie May" actually turned out to be "Every Picture Tells a Story". I love that song and have a secret yen to cover it someday with a special guest on lead vocals.

Along with Rod The Bod's version of "(I Know) I'm Losing You" (a cover of a Rare Earth tune [covering The Temptations] that holds its own impressively), "Every Picture" makes up pretty much 50% of my Rod Stewart preferred listening.
Color me surprised and appalled (apPALLED!), then, when I listened to the lyrics all the way through...

Did he...? Did he just say something about going to Asia and falling in love with a "slit-eyed lady?"

Wow Rod, the French were right when they said you were a nasty person. I haven't felt this duped since Ten Years After's vaguely homophobic curve ball:

Everywhere is/Freaks and scaries/
Dykes and faries/Tell me where is/
Sanity?


A slit-eyed lady?!
Classic Rock, sometimes you really take it too far!
It's not like listening to AC/DC or Van Halen where I know things are gonna skew a little politically incorrect and can mentally prepare (read stop singing along). I mean, Rod's supposed to be pretty safe, right? They play him on easy-listening stations, ferdaluvapete!

As if on cue, the next track in shuffle order was Thin Lizzy's "Jailbreak":

Hey you, good-lookin' female... Come over here

Great. So much for running for public office.

No comments:

Blog Archive