Friday, January 4, 2008

sneaking into the Muny


In the heart of Forest Park, in St. Louis, is a huge outdoor theater called the "Muny". I think it's short for municipal. They do big musicals here during the summer, like Miss Saigon and The Producers. It was cold and windy today when I walked through the gates. I was surprised not to see anyone around, anywhere. The doors to the auditorium were locked, but the loading dock gate was open. I walked through, and found myself backstage, surrounded by creaky old stage machinery. I walked out on stage, and stood on top of a giant turntable, no doubt installed for a production of Les Mis. I jumped down over the orchestra pit, and climbed the stairs to the back of the ampitheater. Just as I was about to ascend the spiral staircase to the followspot tower, a man yelled at me. "Hey!", he said. "You have to go back". I waved at him, and jumped over the concrete wall, landing outside the front entrance. A woman sitting in her car in the parking lot looked at me, and continued talking on the phone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next week on America's Forgotten Places, our intrepid explorer discovers the terrible secret hidden deep beneath the Waffle House on Lindbergh Ave.

Kirk said...

Nice work Rob. You captured the cupholders in their natural habitat. Look forward to more secret shit...