Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ask me about my theatre project!

Printer's Devil/Sgt. Rigsby & His Amazing Silhouettes present: A Boy in the Beastly City


I'm ACTing! I'm ACTING AGAIN! I'm CLEEEEENing! I'm CLEANING MY BRAIN!

Yep, it's my first non-"Awesome", non-sketch comedy actor-ing in almost four years, and it's scratching an itch I didn't even know I had.

For those who don't recognize the name, Sgt. Rigsby (& His Amazing Silhouettes) is the alter-ego of writer/shadow-puppeteer/twisted genius Scot Augustson, who's been mounting his whimsical two-dimensional puppet plays for about ten years. This is my first time voicing a multitude of the characters populating his perverse universe (uniperverse?), but I've been a long-time fan, so obviously I'm beside myself (and only now do I realize how ridiculous my late-'40s mustache looks).

The quick rehearsal process basically consisted of making cartoon voices and sound effects and giggling like small children. Which isn't unlike "A" practice, I realize, but this here is a story about a young boy who ventures to a big city full of colorful dangers in order to rescue his big-testicle'd monkey friend. Four actors sit at a table festooned with old-timey mics and foley effects, and we voice all 50+ characters who are manipulated by two puppeteers behind an ornate shadow-screen facade. Surprises and hijinks, laughter and tears, living and loving and learning, all that.

So, you know, come on down to Theatre Off Jackson, in the International District, Thursdays - Saturdays at 7:30pm from January 24 - February 16. Then we'll all go get a drink at a karaoke bar. You can click the link above the photo for lots more info.

Here ends the side-project plug: we'll return you to updates from the studio shortly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see Rachel's hand!

Hunter said...

You don't have to prove... that you are creative...

Anonymous said...

that looks like a stock photo, puppetmaster, which would mean both those eloquent mitts belong to the Sgt. (unless one is the elegant hand of Mr. Ben Laurance).

Evan, I'm working on an Augustson script (in 3-D! whoa!) in which I play a Castellian delivery boy, so you're the object of serious 'stache-envy. Happy preview, Evan and Evan's mustache!

Anonymous said...

I saw the show in preview tonight and I heartily endorse it.

Anonymous said...

OMG! This is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time! Everyone is AMAZING. Gotta love that Banana Beer.