Thursday, December 13, 2007

Guilty Pleasures

So, there are many days here when I leave my desk 6 times or less, to empty my bladder and refill my Nalgene bottle. I try to combine these trips for maximum efficiency. Sometimes I just pee into my Nalgene bottle to stay really efficient. Yesterday was one of those days.

And I listened to a lot of music. Thanks to the iPod shuffle, I remembered how much I like the song "Hurricane Amore" by the Ocean Blue. It really needs a harmony vocal, though. Then I thought about how often harmony can 'sweeten' a song. The power of Garfunkel should never be underestimated.

One thing I'd like to do with the rest of the band in 2008 is to create song that has a lot of choral elements, something where at least one person is singing throughout. There are a lot of good singers in the band, and quite often we get carried away with making intricate arrangements for our myriad instruments, which is sometimes a detriment to our vocal abilities.

I learned this when we recorded Trooper. Am I not supposed to leak that yet? Anyway, it's really nice to stand around a single microphone with three other really good singers. We haven't done that in a while. I'm looking forward to that again. It almost makes me forgive my mother for driving me to Hudson to take voice lessons from the woman who made me sing "The Rose." Nothing kills your chances with 7th-grade girls more than singing Bette Midler in a higher register than they can.

And finally, if you haven't heard Jose Bold's new CD, "Fly the December Skies", you must do this now. He's even giving it away. Just put your cursor up in the URL of this page, highlight "home.php" and replace it with "december". This will unlock a world of beautiful sweetness. If you don't think "Madison" isn't amazing, then you're made of wood. I'm calling Zach Braff now to get it onto his next soundtrack.

I don't know why this post was called "Guilty Pleasures."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what's REALLY hot these days? Barbershop! What could be more rousing than several natty fellows warbling in close harmony?

Think about it.

Matthew Echert said...

Why is it that when I read the phrase "sometimes I just pee into my Nalgene bottle" I immediately knew I was reading one of Kirk's posts? Somehow the image of a uriNalgene bottle colored the entire rest of the post in my mind. Figuratively speaking. Also, literally.

Anonymous said...

More rousing? Close harmony coming out of lips shrouded in handlebar mustaches.

Anonymous said...

Nothing kills your chances with 7th-grade girls more than singing Bette Midler in a higher register than they can.

Comedy Gold. This is why you get the big bucks, Kirk.

Montana said...

I'm just glad you're drinking more water!

Anonymous said...

Do you know that song "Knife" by Grizzly Bear? Kind of a nice example of the vocal harmonies you mention.

Blog Archive