Friday, November 2, 2007

French composers, headshots

Last night, thanks to my friend Josef, I went to the Seattle Symphony's evening of French composers conducted by Stéphane Denève (final performance tonight). I arrived straight from work, underdressed in my third-avenue-casual attire and unkempt facial hair, prompting one of the musicians to ask "is he from Alice in Chains?" after the show. Pieces by Stravinsky, Debussy, and a composer named Faure (presumably the musician and not the pioneer of the lead battery) were played beautifully by the ensemble, but it was Ravel's Piano Concerto in G Minor that was so staggeringly good it had sugar rainbows bursting out of every instrument and golden cherubs licking the toes of the most esteemed arts donor. I'm no scientist (anymore), but it takes no degree of booksmarts to know that a composition with "Piano" prominently featured in its title requires a damn good pianist to pull it off, no matter how competent the symphony orchestra. That pianist was one Frank Braley, who is the subject of this come-hither headshot. Mr. Braley proceded to tickle the ivories with astonishing grace, invoking le aforementioned rainbows and cherubs. What can we learn from my experience? Headshots are funny and Alice in Chains is still relevent in Seattle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Ravel piano works, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you heard the concerto in G Major, not Minor. Starts off with a wonderful little piccolo theme, and some notes in the low register of the piano... then the screaming guitars come in.

johnO said...

You are correct: G Major. But no screaming guitars, only crying orphans. Vote Quimby.

Blog Archive