Thursday, May 22, 2008

The power of naaah nah nah na-na-na-naaah



Out of interest, I borrowed The McCartney Years from the library -- everything Paul McCartney stuffed into 3 dvds, including footage of a 2004 concert he gave at Glastonbury when he was 62 years old and had acumulated enough wealth to deck the stage with multiple pianos, high-grade teleprompters, several jets of fire, and thunderous explosions of fireworks that would make Zeus pee. But everything -- age and wealth included -- peeled away when he played "Hey, Jude." We ALL know the words, especially during the end-part.

It reminded me of when I was at Easy Street Records and "Yellow Submarine" came on. Every single patron in the store was singing, out loud or to themselves, and some were even dancing. Paul Mac and the Beatles need no extra rah-rah-ing from me, I'm just sayin' that getting the world to sing along unabashedly is an amazing feat, and I'm happy to experience such a thing in my lifetime.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that everyone singing along with Yellow Submarine was expressing their admiration for that talented sexy drummer, and not the rest of the band.

Anonymous said...

"Here comes me, (Deedle-dee-dee)
Here comes me, and I say...it's alright..."

Anonymous said...

The only thing that's keeping "A" from similar greatness is that John won't write a song that we can all sing along with. Give us a little 4/4, won't you? : )

Anonymous said...

yeah!

Anonymous said...

you leave him be!

Christopher said...

I had a similar experience several months ago at Moe Bar - Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" came on the jukebox, and suddenly the entire bar was going, "WAH, wah, wah!" in unison to the chorus.

For three minutes and thirty-three seconds, all was right with the world.